Pasta with Garlic Breadcrumbs
(Pasta con pangrattato)
This is a simple and delicious.
Many Italians like to add in dried peppers, toasted or dried peperoncini, or pancetta, smoked bacon or anchovies.
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of fresh (1-2 day old bread) ciabatta bread is best suited
- 4 large garlic cloves, very finely minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500g of spaghetti or linguini is best
Heat the olive oil in a large pan, medium heat only. Add the fresh breadcrumbs and sauté until golden, around 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté another minute or two, do not over cook the garlic!
* if adding dried peppers, toasted or dried peperoncini, or pancetta, smoked bacon or anchovies then add at this step.
Remove the pan from the heat and turn down to a low then whilst the pan is off the heat toss through the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Please do not turn the stove off!
Stir well to combine.
Cook the pasta al dente. Drain and add to the pan with breadcrumb mix, place the pan
Back on the stove and toss over the low heat until the pasta is coated.
Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese and extra Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by, Kerryn Saffioti.