- 500g Spirali (dried)
- 4 tbsps olive oil ( 2 to cook with and 2 reserved for tossing)
- 1 large onion (diced finely)
- 4-6 tomatoes diced (seeds and inner soft flesh removed )
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp fresh basil chopped finely into slithers
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 fresh chili’s ( hot or mild )
- 200g fresh feta cheese crumbled
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
Bring 4 litres of water to the boil in a large pot.
While the water is reaching the boil add the 2 Tbs of olive oil to a skillet or heavy pan and heat the oil over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot but not smoking add onions and cook till transparent and softened, stirring constantly to prevent from sticking or browning.
Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes ensuring the garlic does not over cook and then add the finely chopped chili, basil and oregano. Turn the pan off and add the 2 Tablespoon of olive oil to the pan to warm through and then season the mix with the salt and pepper and give it one last stir.
Now cook the spirali according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and toss through with the olive oil, onion, garlic, herbs and chili mix.
In a large bowl transfer the Spirali pasta mix and toss through with the spinach and diced tomato. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta and serve.
This is a great accompaniment to steak or grilled chicken – perfect for an addition to any outdoor BBQ outing.
Buon appetito …
Recipe by, Kerryn Saffioti.